Friday, July 27, 2012

Sparky Writer


Y'know what I enjoy? Tributes to classic strips from the funny papers. Enjoy!

Yeah...Tyrra's best novels never get off the ground (lousy publishers).
  • Snoopy's one in a handful of characters that served as inspiration when I created Tyrra, so it was inevitable that the Husky would get drawn in that classic style.
  • "Sparky Writer" is a tip of the hat to Charles "Sparky" M. Schulz, creator of "Peanuts"- I'm a BIG fan of the strip, and Schulz happens to be one of the major influences on me as a cartoonist since childhood.
  • The design of Tyrra's laptop is loosely based on my own (a Compaq Presario)- it's been my personal working system for six rough-and-tumble years.
  • For anyone not hip to Japanese, a ninjatō is a type of short, straight-bladed katana (sword) which ninjas tend to wield in pop culture (movies, TV, anime/manga, etc.).
  • I find garter belts/garters to be very sexy pieces of lingerie. They're even sexier when they've got something like a hidden weapon or flask in them.
  • "shapely thigh" and "luscious lips"- I'm so...so sorry. Looks like Tyrra's writing a saucy action-adventure.
  • "jive turkeys"- this term, boys and girls, refers to one who likes to talk the talk, but can't walk the walk. In other words, Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help!
  • Tyrra's "alternative" take on Cinderella was just something I made up as I was typing (it happens!). The premise of a lady in a ballgown kicking ninja butt and looking good while doing so was inspired by "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies".

No comments:

Post a Comment