Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween 2012


I can't believe Halloween's already here (next thing you know, Thanksgiving's over, then Christmas pops out its jolly old elfin head). Well, without further ado-doo, enjoy this strip for your Samhain celebration. Mine's gonna involve getting pizza and watching cheesy horror movies with my family.
  • "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!" (1966) has got to be, hands down, my favorite cartoon to watch on Halloween, so it was inevitable that I pay a playful tribute to it in a themed strip. I chose to spoof the "I got a rock" scene, but only because I thought of a dumb pun to play off with it. I could've easily done a Scooby-Doo scenario with Tyrra, but then I thought, "Nah, too easy."
  • Get it? 'Cause he got a ROCK, and Tyrra got a ROC (which is a giant bird of prey from Arabic mythology). Heh, heh... I'm such a dork.
  • I added the "- With apologies to Schulz & Melendez!" credit due to seeing Frank Cho do this whenever he made pop culture references in "Liberty Meadows", and since I'm paying tribute to the Great Pumpkin special, I wanted to handle it as respectfully as possible.
  • For anybody who's wondering, Tyrra is dressed as Dynomutt, Dog Wonder (one of my favorite Hanna-Barbera characters) and Quacklad's supposed to be Ash in his medieval outfit from "Army of Darkness" (1993). Groovy!
  • Tyrra's line had to be that right amount of funny and dark, all tied together with a little grin (just something you'll expect from the horror comedy aspect of this here webcomic).
  • "As big as a battleship."- another reference made to that cheesy giant monster movie, "The Giant Claw" (1957).
  • Once again, I had fun playing around with the gradients and coloring to give the background a nice autumn night for trick-or-treating.
Happy Halloween, everybody! Eat, drink, and be spooky! Take care and stay safe, East Coast!

No comments:

Post a Comment