Sunday, May 20, 2012

Fast Food Puppeteer



Time for a late night funny page! I've gone back to the drawing board and I'm not quite sure what I've unleashed upon this not-quite-ready world!

Making poor excuses of modern monsters give up the ghost can really work up an appetite, so Quacklad and Tyrra stop by their favorite fast food joint, Kamehameha Taco. Noticing that the Duck has been acting disappointed since taking out Teddy Sulkin and Ricky Grey, Tyrra decides to cheer him up with one of the many things she knows best: playing with her food.
  • "Kamehameha Taco" is a nod to the fictional Hawaiian-themed fast food chain, Big Kahuna Burger, from Quentin Tarantino's movies ("This is a tasty burger!"). We will definitely be seeing more of this interesting eatery.
  • I'm VERY stoked with how the restaurant's sign/logo turned out. I drew the mascot in the style of Akira Toriyama, the creator of "Dragon Ball" and "Dr. Slump", as an inside joke, since "Kamehameha" is the name of Goku's signature energy wave attack and the first king of the Hawaiian Islands (anime and history: it's a winning combo!). My brother-in-law's a BIG fan of "Dragon Ball Z", and he has some of the old episodes on VHS.
  • Back in high school, I had a weird habit of getting nachos for lunch, then dumping a load of pineapple chunks from the salad bar right on top of it all. That's pretty much where the idea of Tex-Mex/Hawaiian cuisine came from for me. It was actually quite tasty; don't knock it until you try it!
  • I hope no one will get offended at me taking an important historical figure from Hawaiian culture and using him as a fast food mascot in a comic, not to mention making his mahiole (feathered helmet) into a taco- I have the utmost respect and admiration for Hawaii and its wonderful culture.
  • "88 Midian St." is named after the underground city of monsters from Clive Barker's horror novella, "Cabal" (1988) and its film adaption, "Nightbreed" (1990). The movie was a big influence on me to have a big city with supernatural creatures living among the unknowing human citizens (Walpurgis, NC- I'll explore more of the setting's background, including the name, in the future).
  • One of my top 10 favorite movies of all time, without a doubt, is "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure"- I had to make a tribute to the famous "Mr. Breakfast" scene. 'Nuff said!
  • I'm...not sure why Tyrra gave the burrito a cowboy voice (that's just how Tyrra rolls).
  • "Duckaroo": real word, just like "ducktective" (thank you, "Looney Tunes" and "Merrie Melodies"). 
  • In my original layout, Quacklad was smoking with his head resting against his left hand, but it seemed funnier to have him looking genuinely confused at Tyrra's burrito antics. The Duck's fought vampires, ghosts, and such, but a burrito puppet with a cowboy voice operated by a silly husky: that is some scary shit...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment